The Canadian Women’s 7s team won a historic bronze medal at the inaugural rugby event at the 2016 Rio Olympic in Brazil. While the Tokyo Olympics will mark as the Canadian men’s debut in the world games.
Veteran sevens stars Harry Jones, Nate Hirayama and Ghislaine Landry will be leading their teams at the Tokyo Olympics this July.
“We’re just super-excited and super-grateful that it is happening and we are here ready to go,” Landry said about their second appearance in the Olympics.
The Canadian men finally qualified for the Olympic games in 2019 after winning the Americas North Sevens tournament in the Cayman islands. The maple red jersey was undefeated in the tournament with the USA team already qualified by virtue of the HSBC World rugby Sevens Series standings.
“It’s an honor to compete for Canada at Tokyo 2020,” Hirayama, said in a statement.
“We travel the world representing Canada but this will be my first Olympic Games and we’re excited to get to Tokyo. It’s been an unprecedented year but we’ve been training hard and look forward to competing.”
The 33 year old is currently the third on the World Series all time scoring list with an outstanding 1,859 points.
Six Olympians will be making their return in the Tokyo Games for the women’s side with Landry leading the ladies. Brittany Benn, Bianca Farella, Kayla Moleschi, Karen Paquin and Charity Williams will be returning to defend and improve on the bronze medal. Kaila Lukan, the younger sister of Megan Lukan will also make her Olympic debut, her big sister was part of the original Rio squad in 2016.
“The opportunity to go to another Olympic Games with this team is very exciting,” said Landry.
“For the last five years, we’ve been training hard and hunting down podium finishes. I’m proud of our team and I know we are heading into the Games with a ton of talent and huge potential.”
She remains the all-time leading scorer on the World Series with 1,356 career points, Landry finished the Rio Games second in scoring with 41 points (five tries, eight conversions).
Canadian Olympic Rugby 7s Teams
- Elissa Alarie, Trois-Rivieres, Que.
- Olivia Apps, Lindsay, Ont.
- Britt Benn, Napanee, Ont.
- Pamphinette Buisa, Gatineau, Que.
- Bianca Farella, Montreal.
- Julia Greenshields, Sarnia, Ont.
- Ghislaine Landry, Toronto.
- Kaili Lukan, Barrie, Ont.
- Kayla Moleschi, Williams Lake, B.C.
- Breanne Nicholas, Blenheim, Ont.
- Karen Paquin, Quebec City.
- Keyara Wardley, Vulcan, Alta.
- Charity Williams, Toronto.
Coach: Mick Byrne.
- Phil Berna, Vancouver.
- Connor Braid, Victoria.
- Andrew Coe, Markham, Ont.
- Justin Douglas, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Mike Fuailefau, Victoria.
- Lucas Hammond, Toronto.
- Nathan Hirayama, Richmond, B.C.
- Harry Jones, West Vancouver.
- Patrick Kay, Duncan, B.C.
- Matt Mullins, Belleville, Ont.
- Theo Sauder, Vancouver.
- Jake Thiel, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Conor Trainor, Vancouver.
Coach: Henry Paul.