Former Kenya Sevens captain Humphrey Kayange is to be part of the 2019 World Rugby Sevens awards selection panel. The panel’s task is to choose players deserving of the awards in recognition and appreciation of their contribution and excellence in rugby on and of the field from community to elite level.
World Rugby organises the awards annually and the the panel consists of international sevens rugby players, match officials and commentators on the men’s and women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.
The 2019 World Rugby Sevens panel will consist of Kayange (Kenya), Karl Tenana (New Zealand), Jenn Kish (Canada), Tana Penatani (Australia), Marika Vanibaka (Fiji), and Danielle Waterman, from the English Rugby Union.
ICYMI: Former Kenya Sevens skipper and 15s utility Humphrey Kayange on Friday caught rugby lovers by surprise after announcing his retirement from international rugby. #AsanteTall pic.twitter.com/OiK1pEtJvp
— Daily Nation (@dailynation) June 4, 2018
According to a tweet by former New Zealand captain Tenana, his vote alongside the other panel members will make up 70 per cent of the decision. The remaining 30 per cent will be decided by other international players.
The panel will choose the men and women who have excelled in sevens rugby from the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, which ends in June at the Paris Sevens. They will also consider other international sevens tournaments.
Kayange was part of the delegation that lobbied for sevens rugby to be admitted into the Olympics. He was instrumental in the Kenya team who won the Singapore 7s in 2016, and the team who played at the 2016 Rio Olympics. Humphrey has played 66 matches At the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.
Kayange, who is the male athlete’s representative to the National Olympics Committee of Kenya, retired from international rugby in June 2018. “It is time to say good bye to my international career in both sevens and fifteens,” he said at the time.
Photo Credit: Mwamba RFC